With gorgeous ombre blue frosting, DIY Shark Cupcakes look like there are ocean waves on the top! They are perfect, especially if you need more Shark Party Ideas.
Whether you feel like a novice cake decorator or you need a super-easy or last-minute dessert, these cupcakes are always the best choice.
You can whip them up in no time at all. Even though they take almost no time to decorate, they will still impress your guests.
Also, these make great Shark Week cupcakes!
There are bunches of ways to save time with these cupcakes. You can buy pre-made cupcakes at the store and decorate them with your blue and white frosting.
Or set up a decorating assembly line. One person pipes the frosting and the next adds the shark gummies.
No matter how you make them, DIY shark cupcakes are the answers you’re looking for.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Shark Cupcakes Ingredients
You can use pre-made ingredients in these cupcakes or make them from scratch – the choice is up to you.
The only things you really need for these cupcakes are:
- White/Vanilla Cupcakes
- Blue Food Coloring
- Teal Food Coloring
- Shark Gummy Candies
- Blue Cupcake Liners
Beyond those ingredients, all other things are optional. For example, you could add some edible glitter to the frosting.
Or use cupcake liners with sharks on the print. I used blue cupcake liners because they matched the frosting perfectly.
Have fun when you make and decorate DIY shark cupcakes! There is so much room for creativity.
And don’t forget to buy extra shark gummy candies. Spread them out all over the table and give some to the guests to snack on.
These shark cupcakes are the cutest and most perfect thing for your shark party!
How To Store Cupcakes
After the cupcakes are fully decorated, you should serve them immediately.
Undecorated cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Store the frosting in a sealed container in the refrigerator for about a week.
You can even store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator for three days. But if you refrigerate the gummy candies, they will harden and be more difficult to chew.
How To Decorate Shark Cupcakes
Here are some photos showing you each step of the process. Decorating DIY shark cupcakes is incredibly simple!
First, bake the vanilla cupcakes. Then, let them cool off completely to room temperature.
While the cupcakes are cooling off, make the buttercream frosting. Then, divide the frosting into three different bowls.
Use one bowl for the icing. Make the light teal then in the same bowl add a few drops of the blue food coloring to make a darker blue.
Next, place the frosting on a sheet of plastic food wrap. Just like in the photos here, add a little bit of white, a bit more teal frosting and a bunch of blue frosting.
Place the frosting close together in strips, like in the photo above.
Wrap up the frosting tightly in the plastic wrap. Twist both ends so they are sealed.
Use your favorite piping tip to add the frosting to the cupcakes in a swirl pattern.
Place one gummy shark on top of each cupcake. Now you’re ready to serve them!
More Shark Party Ideas
Want more ideas of things to serve or have at your shark party? Here are some of my favorite shark themed party ideas!
- Shark Bite Drink
- Shark Cookies
- Shark Fin Jello Shots
- Shark Applesauce Cups
- Non-Alcoholic Shark Jello Cups
- Shark Bite Drink
Subscribe to my newsletter – I’m sure I’ll keep adding more fun shark week ideas too!
Here you go! This is the recipe and instructions for making your own Shark cupcakes.
DIY Shark Cupcakes
- 18 Blue Cupcake Liners
- Piping Bag
- 1 Star Piping Tip
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- Blue and Teal Food Coloring
- 1 Box White Cake Mix 1 – (16.25 oz) box plus ingredients on the back (water, vegetable oil, eggs)
- 18 Shark Gummy Candies More if you want to add more sharks
- 1 cup Butter Softened
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp Milk
- Teal Gel Food Coloring
- Blue Gel Food Coloring
- Prepare the cupcakes, according to box directions.
- Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely.
- While they are cooling, make buttercream frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the butter until smooth, and mix in vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing well.
- Gradually add 1-2 tbsp. milk to get your desired frosting consistency.
- Lay out a long piece of plastic wrap.
- Drop about ⅔ cup of the white frosting onto the wrap in a sort of straight line.
- To the remaining frosting, add 3-4 drops of teal food coloring, and mix to combine.
- Drop about 1 ½ cups of teal frosting onto the plastic wrap beside the white.
- To the remaining frosting, add 3-4 drops of blue food coloring, and mix to combine.
- Drop the remaining blue coloring beside the teal, and wrap up the plastic wrap up longways, twisting the ends.
- Prepare a piping bag with a star tip, and snip the twisted end off of one end of the plastic wrapped frosting.
- Place the wrapped frosting into the piping bag, with the end you snipped off facing down towards the piping tip.
- To frost the cooled cupcakes, evenly squeeze the piping bag so that you get all of the colors piping onto the cakes at the same time for an ombre effect.
- Pipe all the cupcakes and dd one shark gummy candy on top of each one.
Whether you’re a shark enthusiast or just looking for a fun way to celebrate a special occasion, these DIY shark cupcakes are sure to make a splash!
Have fun decorating them – Enjoy!