Delicious Homemade Caramel Apples
Homemade caramel apples are a classic fall treat. Create memories with your family as you make some together. There are so many clever ways to add any number of toppings.
How to Make Homemade Caramel Apples
Have you ever seen those shiny caramel apples inside ice cream shops or bakeries and just yearned to make some yourself?
Now you can.
And it’s so simple and fun that you’ll want to make them with your friends and family. Make a party out of it!
Few things say “fall treats” like sticky and sweet caramel apples.
The entire recipe is in the recipe card further down. But here’s what you will need in order to make your own homemade caramel apples.
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla extract
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
You will definitely need a candy thermometer.
How to Make Homemade Caramel
The most important part of homemade caramel apples is making the caramel. You will definitely need a candy thermometer since you’ll need to get this to the perfect temperature.
The perfect homemade caramel will melt together the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
Stir it constantly until it reaches 245 degrees F.
Yes, the stirring is super important. Don’t stop stirring.
After it reaches 245 degrees F, remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla. This is when you will smell the tantalizing aroma and be extra tempted to sneak a few bites.
Now you are ready to dip the apples!
Just insert some wooden sticks into the apples first.
Then, dip them into the melted caramel.
Add Your Favorite Toppings
This is the part when you get to be creative. What toppings do you like? Some like just caramel and nothing else.
If you need a few ideas, try these first.
- Decorative sugar
- Chocolate drizzle
- Cookie crumbs
- Sea Salt
- Shredded coconut
Caramel Cooking Tips
Keep these tips in mind as you are making your homemade caramel.
- The caramel will take about 25 minutes to reach the desired temperature. It is important to stir it constantly in order to prevent it from burning.
- Move quickly when dipping the apples. If the caramel is setting too quickly put the caramel back on low heat
- Once the caramel reaches 245 degrees things will move very quickly so keep a close eye on things.
- Make sure the apples are free of wax/polish and thoroughly dry or the caramel will slip off.
Homemade Caramel Apples
- 6 apples
- 1 cup butter
- 1.5 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the apples.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat stir the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk until combined.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly and cook until a candy-thermometer read 245 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Dip each apple into the hot caramel and immediately add toppings if desired.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and allow to cool before serving.
More Fun Dessert Ideas
Baking up sweet desserts is so fun, especially when you do it together. Here are some more dessert ideas that will be perfect to make together.
- Cute Scarecrow Nutter Butter Cookies
- Pumpkin desserts
- Fall Haystack Cookies
- Harvest Indian Corn Cookies
You may also like these apple recipes!
- Apple Tart Recipe
- Gingerbread Apple Pie Cake
- Homemade Caramel Apples
- Mini Dutch Apple Pies with Caramel Sauce
- 25 Amazing Apple Recipes
- Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie
More Fall Desserts
Fall is the perfect time to bake! Here are some more fall treats you can make when the weather is cool.
Plan The Perfect Party With This Halloween Party Planner!
Just tried the recipe! Wow is it good!!!
Only thing I need to figure out is how to put toppings on and it not slide off. Other then that it’s amazing!!!!!
Awesome! Thank you for letting me know how much you enjoyed it!