This Gingerbread Apple Pie Cake is soft, moist, with the perfect blend of ginger, nutmeg, and sweet brown sugar. This sweet treat is perfect for any occasion!
It’s important to have a few desserts in your arsenal of recipes that don’t take a lot of time or ingredients to put together. And I am here to tell you, this Gingerbread Apple Pie Cake recipe needs to be added to your stockpile.
The best part about this cake is that it is incredibly quick and easy to make – all you need is a box of gingerbread mix, about 3 apples, some brown sugar and spices, and a little butter and flour. It takes about 10 minutes to put the whole thing together and get it into the oven.
How To Make Gingerbread Apple Pie Cake
All the exact steps are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, here are some step-by-step pictures showing you how I made it.
Use Boxed Cake Mix
Start by making the gingerbread cake mix according to the box directions. I find the box mix to be a bit on the mild side so I like to add some additional spices to bump up the flavor.
Pour the prepared cake mix into a prepared 8”x8” cake pan and set it to the side. Toss the sliced apples in a bowl with some lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut the apples on the thin side – about 1/8” thick. This just ensures that the apples bake up tender in the cake.
Make the Easy Crumb Topping
For the butter crumble topping, add flour, brown sugar, salt and a stick of butter to a bowl. Using a fork or a pastry blender, work ingredients together until combined and has a crumbly consistency. It’s okay if you leave a few bigger pieces of butter in the mix.
Assemble the Apple Pie Cake
To assemble the cake, pour the coated apples on top of the prepared cake mix and top with the butter crumble topping. Pop that cake in the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes. It doesn’t take long for your kitchen to start smelling like fall with all those delicious spices filling the air.
This Gingerbread Apple Pie cake is simply delicious and not overly sweet. It’s perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea. You can even top the cake with a little sweetened whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or even a little maple glaze.
It’s also the perfect sweet treat to throw together over the holidays or when you have guests. The ginger spice in this cake is not overwhelming at all but if you aren’t a huge fan of gingerbread, you can easily swap it out for a spice cake or buttery vanilla mix instead. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Gingerbread Apple Pie Cake
- 8×8-inch baking dish
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 3 large apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced (1/8″)
- 4 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 box gingerbread cake mix
- 1-1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- Heat oven to 350°F (dark or nonstick pan – 325°F). Spray 8×8-inch pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together cake ingredients with an electric hand mixture on low for 30 seconds, then turn to medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, gently toss sliced apples with brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and the salt. With a fork or pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Pour and spread apple mixture over top of cake batter. Sprinkle butter crumble over top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely,
Recipe created by ezeBreezy – Life Simplified.
You may also like these apple recipes!
- Apple Tart Recipe
- Gingerbread Apple Pie Cake
- Homemade Caramel Apples
- Mini Dutch Apple Pies with Caramel Sauce
- 25 Amazing Apple Recipes
- Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie
More Fall Desserts
Fall is the perfect time to bake! Here are some more fall treats you can make when the weather is cool.