Hello Everyone! I am Chandra and I am the Preppy Gal behind The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen. I am so excited to be here with Susan and all of you here at Oh My Creative! When Susan approached me to be a contributor on her amazing blog I was so excited and so thrilled to be a part of this great community! I have made a delicious little treat for you all today.
Summer is quickly fading into fall and the days of fresh local berries are coming to an end. So I just had to grab up some Strawberries before they are all gone and make these cupcakes just for you! The cake is made with a surprisingly healthy ingredient that we all know and love!! I used Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt in this recipe and it is absolutely wonderful! I enjoy baking with Greek Yogurt as it keeps baked goods so moist and dense.
I do have to admit a little bit that the star of this cupcake is the Frosting!!! Really let’s admit it to ourselves we all really want the frosting of any cupcake. It is a crowning achievement. This Vanilla Bean Buttercream is thick and bursting with fantastic vanilla flavor. Do you see those amazing little specks of vanilla? Just Devine!
Here is a little Vanilla Bean tip: Vanilla Beans can be quite expensive. I often use ground vanilla bean. You can purchase this at most any specialty baking store and it is only a few cents per ounce. You get the same superior vanilla taste and the telltale black speck.
I also love the dense sweet cake that this cupcake has made it the perfect portable treat for taking to dinner parties, school treats, church suppers and any other gathering you might need a treat for.
I do use cake mixes quite often for different treats that I make. I have nothing against them as they can make life simpler. Yet there is nothing really more satisfying than making cake batter from scratch. Knowing that you have had complete control of the amount of sugar and that there are no preservatives or other nonsense that is found in all of our food today. Also, it really doesn’t take that much longer either. So I hope that you have some fun making these ridiculously good Vanilla Bean Strawberry Cupcakes!
Strawberry Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries coated in 1 tbsp of sugar plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or 1/2 of one vanilla bean
- 1 egg plus 2 yolks
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp bAKING powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2/3 cup Chobani vanilla greek yogurt
- For the Frosting :
- 1/2 stick butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or half of one vanilla bean
- 3-4 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line 18 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- In a mixer cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla bean.
- Beat in egg and both yolks.
- Add salt and BAKING powder.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding flour and yogurt.
- Mix till batter is smooth and fold in your strawberries.
- The batter will be thick when you fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 25 min or until center comes out clean when poked with a toothpick. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Combine the butter and powdered sugar in a mixer then add the vanilla bean and extract.
- Slowly add milk one tablespoon at a time until you have your desired consistency.
- Combine in mixer until all lumps are gone and frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Pipe or spread on cooled cupcakes and garnish with strawberries.
This is a Plaid and Paisley Original Recipe. Please feel free to bake and share. All content, recipes and photos are copyrighted.
I want to thank Chandra for sharing her amazing Strawberry Vanilla Bean Cupcake Recipe! Please stop by and follower her blog The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen!