Valentine’s Day is all about sweet treats like this Cherry Vanilla Pudding! Find plenty of sweet treats and crafts in my collection of Creative Valentine’s Day Ideas!
This is one of my favorite times of the year. It feels like you get to take a break from focusing on how cold it is and you get to solely focus on those you love.
There’s just something about a holiday that’s all about showing people you love them and that makes life feel perfect. This homemade decadent pudding would go well with a homemade gift.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Although I’m not one to run and sing, I could imagine this would be a time that a lot of people feel like doing so. I think that’s the biggest joy of a holiday in general—family, friends, and loved ones forgetting everything but each other.
If you have been following my blog for awhile you know I love creative foods. Valentine’s Day is our favorite holiday to make sweet treats. There are endless ways you can use red, pink, and white in recipes…it never gets old.
This cherry vanilla pudding was a hit at our house. It’s one of our favorite desserts so we just had to make it into a Valentine’s Day treat. The kids love to decorate the top with sprinkles and hearts!
The best thing about this cherry vanilla pudding is that it’s not boxed! The whipped cream and pudding are made from scratch. This gives the kids a chance participate in the kitchen! Here is how you make this yummy cherry vanilla pudding.
Cherry Vanilla Pudding
CHOCOLATE HEART SUPPLIES:
CHOCOLATE HEART DIRECTIONS:
Line your pan with parchment paper
Draw medium sized hearts with your marker on the parchment paper.
Melt your chocolate as directed on your bag.
Pour your melted chocolate into a squeeze bottle
Outline the heart first with the chocolate
Now have fun doing decorative squiggles or fill the heart in solid
Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden
I do love desserts made from scratch but we all don’t have time for that…and it’s ok. If you wish to make the pudding from scratch print out the recipe below for the full instructions.
Otherwise, buy a few boxes of instant pudding mix. It’s ok really!
Divide the pudding into two bowls. Add cherry extract or flavoring to taste in one bowl. I recommend adding a small amount to start…you can always add more.
Putting it all together:
Top your pudding cups with whipped cream and garnish with sprinkles, Valentine’s Day candy and the chocolate heart.
Cherry Vanilla Pudding Valentine’s Day Dessert
- CHOCOLATE HEART SUPPLIES:
- 1 bag of bright red melting chocolate
- 1 baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Pastry squeeze bottle
- PUDDING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp cherry flavoring
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup heavy cream chilled.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- CHOCOLATE HEART DIRECTIONS:
- Line your pan with parchment paper
- Draw medium sized hearts with your marker on the parchment paper.
- Melt your chocolate as directed on your bag.
- Pour your melted chocolate into a squeeze bottle
- Outline the heart first with the chocolate
- Now have fun do decorative squiggles or fill the heart in solid
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden
- Using a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of the milk to a boil on medium heat.
- Add sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium, heatproof bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the rest of the 2/3 cup milk, a little at a time so lumps do not form, then whisk in the egg.
- When you see the milk is boiling, gradually add it to the cornstarch mixture in the bowl, whisking quickly the whole time.
- Place the mixture back to the saucepan, stirring with a whisk.
- Once it comes to a simmer, cook it for one to two minutes longer.
- The pudding will become very thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Separate the pudding in half and place in separate bowls.
- In one bowl add your cherry flavoring and red food coloring fold to incorporate.
- Cover the pudding with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface of the pudding, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Once chilled in your desserts bowls layer your pudding half vanilla half cherry.
- Place back to refrigerate.
- Begin to make your whip cream.
- Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Put the bowl and the whisk in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk all ingredients together - about 30 seconds on low speed to give them a good stir, switching to high speed until stiff peak (or until you reach the desired consistency you want - I use a stand mixer and it takes me about 2 minutes to get to soft peak stage, then another minute or so to stiff peak, which is what I want). Be careful not to overbeat, though...you might end up with butter!
- Putting it all together:
- Top your pudding cups with whip cream and garnish with sprinkles, Valentine's Day candy and the chocolate heart.
Valentine’s Day Treats:
- VALENTINE BROWN SUGAR BLONDIES
- WHITE CHOCOLATE VALENTINE HAYSTACK COOKIES
- VALENTINE’S DAY RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- 30 VALENTINE’S DAY SWEET TREAT RECIPES
- NUTTER BUTTER LOVE BUG COOKIES