Hi, Everyone! This is Aida from The Crafting Foodie, and I’m so happy to be back at Oh My! Creative just in time for football season. With the season starting, it’s time to rollout some football themed foods. These Chocolate Cupcakes with Football Cake Pop Toppers start with a rich, moist chocolate cupcake, and they are covered with the fluffiest vanilla frosting. These football cake pops turn an ordinary cupcake into the perfect football themed treat.
Whether you love football or not, there’s something to be said about football/tailgating foods. They are totally delicious – wings, burgers, chips. But don’t forget about dessert! And you know me, I never forget dessert 😉
These Chocolate Cupcakes with Football Cake Pop Toppers are two delicious desserts in one.
There’s the traditional, moist and oh-so-chocolatey cupcake. And once you devour that, there’s still a cute chocolate cake pop left to enjoy!
I know that making cake pops will make some of you out there hesitate, but these football cake pops couldn’t be easier. Simply mix cake crumbs with a dollop of frosting. Then shape into footballs. Chill in the fridge. Then dip into melted chocolate, and they’re done!
To add more detail, after the football cake pops chilled in the fridge, I used some left over vanilla frosting to add details. I love the way they turned out, and more importantly, my guests LOVED them!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Football Cake Pop Toppers
- For the Cupcakes and Cake Pops:2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (I used coconut oil, melted and cooled)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup strong coffee, warm
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbs milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
- For the Frosting: 1½ cups, unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbs milk or cream
- For the Cake Pops: 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbs vegetable shortening
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper wrappers.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, oil, eggs, and coffee.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Fill each cup of the muffin tin about ? full.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Then remove them from the pan and allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- For the vanilla frosting: Cream the butter and confectioner's sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the vanilla, salt, and milk. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Set about a scant ¼ of the frosting aside for the cake pops.
- For the cake pops: Once the cupcakes are completely cool, crumble 6 of the cupcakes into fine crumbs.
- Mix in about 2 tbs of frosting. The resulting mix should be malleable and soft, like play-doh.
- Using about 1 tsp of cake pop mix, form the cake pops into a football shape. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and chill for at least an hour.
- When the cake pops are thoroughly chilled, melt the chopped chocolate and shortening.
- Using a toothpick, dip the cake pops in the chocolate. Gently shake off extra chocolate. Place the cake pops back onto the cookie sheet and cool completely.
- While the cake pops cool, frost the cupcakes.
- Once the cake pops are completely cool, place the extra frosting in a piping bag and pipe the football details on each of the cake pops.
- Tint any left over frosting green. Place in a piping bag, and pipe lines in the middle of the cupcake.
- Finally, place one football cake pop on top of each cupcake.
If you liked these Chocolate Cupcakes with Football Cake Pop Toppers and you’re looking for more decadent desserts and healthy weeknight meals, follow me at The Crafting Foodie, or follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Google+. You can also check out some of my other creations here:
Football Decorated Sugar Cookies
Chicago Themed Decorated Cookies
Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
Linking to these wonderful parties!