It’s never too late to teach the family how to properly wash their hands. Hand sanitizers and hand wipes are great when there is nowhere to wash your hands but not the most effective way to kill germs. Use this free printable hand washing sign to remind everyone of the importance of keeping our hands clean.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, washing hands is the most effective method for preventing the spread of germs.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Free Printable Hand Washing Sign
Clean hands can stop germs from spreading from person to person keeping family, friends and others healthy.
How To Wash Hands
- Wet your hands with clean, running water and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap – fronts and backs. Suds the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Lather hands for at least 20 seconds with soap. If you need to know how long that to scrub your hands hum the “Happy Birthday” song completely twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel, paper towel or air dry them. If in a public restroom use a paper towel to turn off the faucet.
Water Temperature For Hand Washing
While it may seem that washing hands in scalding hot water would be best but it is not necessary. Using warm comfortable water is best at washing away bacteria and oils from the hands. Although if cold water is all that is available it also will do a good job at removing bacteria and oils.
Hand Washing For Kids
Around the age of there, kids are ready to learn how to wash their hands themselves.
- Wet hands under running water and apply soap.
- Have the kids rub back and forth creating lots of lather. Have them suds the front and back of their hands and between fingers.
- Lather hands for at least 20 seconds with soap. Make this fun for them by singing with them their favorite song or the “Happy Birthday” song completely twice.
- Rinse hands under running water and dry on a clean towel.
Make Hand Washing Easy For Kids
It seems like a no-brainer but making it easy for kids to reach the sink will help them feel it is less of a struggle to do so. Consider ordering one or two of the functional step stools for sinks you want the kids to use to wash their hands regularly.
Download this FREE PRINTABLE HAND WASHING SIGN by joining my email list. You will have full access to this printable as well as my complete Private Printable Library!