Use Irish whiskey and these Pot o’ Gold Jello Shots are the perfect St. Patrick’s Day party drink! They belong on the list of The Best Jello Shot Recipes because they are so delicious, easy to make, and look perfect for Saint Paddy’s Day!
Whether you’re hosting the party or attending as a guest, these are the perfect party shots!
They are so easy to whip up that you can make them last minute and be ready to go.
Celebrate the luck of the Irish by adding a little rainbow candy on top as a garnish. No matter what you do, you’ll love these pot o’ gold jello shots!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Make-Ahead St. Patrick’s Day Jello Shots
Did you know you can make these jello shots ahead of time? If that’s what you want to do, I suggest making them inside small cups with lids. This way, you can store a box of them in the refrigerator three days before your party.
You can even pack them into a small box and send them home with your guests! Seriously, the lids make all the difference!
If you’re going to make them ahead of time, I suggest storing them without the whipped cream and candy rainbows on top. Add both of them right before the party.
What’s In The Pot O’ Gold Jello Shots?
There isn’t any real gold in these jello shots (booo! Sorry to bum ya out!) But they are made with real Irish whiskey! Here’s what you’ll need when you make them:
- Jell-O – Use either lemon or pineapple jello. You want a yellow-colored jello packet so that it looks yellow.
- Cold whisky – To keep it authentic, I suggest using real Irish whiskey, like Jameson, Teeling, or Bushmills
- Cool Whip – This is for the top, so to keep it easy, buy a can of Cool Whip.
- Gold sprinkles – These are optional but make the shots look so fun!
- Rainbow candy pieces – These are also an optional garnish, but they add something whimsical and fun to the pot o gold jello shots.
How To Make Non-Alcoholic Jello Shots
The only thing that makes them alcoholic is the whiskey. If you want to make non-alcoholic jello shots, just replace the whiskey with water. If you want to give them a more powerful taste, add a tiny bit of pineapple juice to them (especially if you are using pineapple jello).
This will make them taste even sweeter, too!
Best Brands Of Authentic Irish Whiskey
Just because it’s whiskey, doesn’t mean it came from Ireland. If you want to really celebrate your Irish heritage, use some whiskey from the green Isles!
My all-time favorite Irish whiskey brands for these jello shots are any of the following:
- Bushmills Original
- Kilbeggan Single Pot Still
- Jameson Irish Whiskey
- The Quiet Man 8 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey
- Tullamore D.E.W.
While you could use bourbon instead of whiskey, it’s just not the same. Bourbon is made from at least 51% corn and is always made in the United States.
Whiskey is a spirit that is made from fermented grains like rye, corn, wheat, or barley. You’ll find lots of them are made in Ireland and Scotland.
How Long To Store Jello Shots
If you’re planning a party, then you know how important it is to do as much as you can ahead of time. Making the jello shots the night before will give you more time to decorate, bake, or do whatever else you need to do in order to prep!
If you want to make these jello shots ahead of time, store them in the refrigerator for up to two days. Of course, store them without whipped cream and rainbow candy on top.
Either cover the pot o gold jello shots with plastic wrap or use the lids that came with the cups. This will keep the air off of them, which helps them taste fresh the day you serve them and prevent them from drying out.
More St. Patrick’s Day Drinks
- Irish Flag St. Patrick’s Day Jello Shots
- Perfectly Delicious Bailey’s Jello Shots
- St. Patrick’s Day Green Cocktail – Emerald Sunrise
- Shamrock St. Patrick’s Day Martini
- The Best St. Patrick’s Day Drinks | Green Cocktails
Pot O Gold Jello Shots
- 14 Plastic Shot Cups with Lids
- 1 package Lemon or Pineapple Jello 3.4 ounces
- 1/2 cup Cold Whiskey
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- Gold Sprinkles
- Rainbow Candy Pieces
- In a small pan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add Jell-O mix and whisk until dissolved. (If using alcohol) Remove from heat and whisk in 1 more cup of cold water and the whisky. Place shot glasses on a tray and pour in jello mixture until about ⅔ full.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until fully set
- Top each cup with whipped cream and a rainbow piece.
More St. Patrick’s Day Ideas
As you prepare for your party, here are some more fantastic and fun St. Patty’s day party ideas you should try: