Easy One Pot Cheeseburger Casserole
The best thing about this cheeseburger casserole is that you can make the entire thing in one dish! Feed your family in minutes.
I love making casseroles for my family. I make the entire meal in one casserole dish and it’s usually pretty affordable too. Plus, once you learn how to make your favorite casserole, you never forget the recipe.
Easy Cheeseburger Casserole For the Family
Cheeseburgers are a family-favorite. There are tons of ways to customize your favorite burger and the same is true for this casserole. It’s filled with all their favorite cheeseburger flavors – cheese, ground beef, and tomatoes. Plus, it has pickles mixed in for that delightful crunch. It’s a crowd-pleasing delight.
The entire recipe is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, I’m going to share some tips and answer some questions about this recipe that you might have.
If you have more questions, please leave them in the comments! I’ll do my best to answer them as quickly as I can.
What’s In Cheeseburger Casserole
Here’s what I used in my cheeseburger casserole, along with any substitutions or changes you can make.
- Pasta – Use your favorite pasta. Macaroni would be a really popular switch!
- Cheese – I used cheddar and mozzarella blend because it melted perfectly with the best taste. Monterey Jack would work just as well.
- Onions – To save time, you can thaw and use frozen chopped onions. I used diced yellow onion, but white onions will work too.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic for the best flavor. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use a few teaspoons of garlic powder, but it won’t have nearly the same flavor as fresh.
- Pickles – If you don’t like pickles, you can leave them out. They give this casserole the authentic cheeseburger flavor.
- Tomatoes – I used canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste. You can chop up fresh tomatoes too if you want a different texture.
- Mustard – I used a combination of Dijon and yellow mustard. If you want it to have more spice, use more Dijon mustard.
- Ground Beef – You can substitute any ground meat in this casserole – ground chicken, turkey, and even pork. That will affect the “cheeseburger” idea, but still taste amazing!
Cheeseburger Casserole Tips
This is the perfect recipe to make ahead and freeze. Just follow the instructions up until the part where you bake it. When you get to that step, store it in a disposable aluminum 9×13 pan and then seal it tightly with aluminum foil. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to eat it, either let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight or just add 10 minutes to the cooking time.
Another one of my favorite tips is to add a few diced jalapeños to it. This will give the casserole a nice bite and a bit of heat!
What To Serve With It
This is an entire meal in one pan. You don’t have to serve much on the side if anything at all! I like to offer a vegetable side with my family dinners. If you do too, these recipes will taste really delicious with it.
Print The Recipe
Here’s the entire recipe in the printable card. Don’t forget to pin this post so you can find it again later!
- 2 cups Tri-Color Rotini Pasta
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef 93% lean
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar and mozzerella cheese blend
- 1/4 cup dill pickles diced
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the rotini pasta, and cook until al dente, approximately 8 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook approximately 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and dijon mustard to the skillet, and cook for 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Pour the meat mixture into the well-drained pasta, and mix well.
- Add ½ c cheese to the pasta and meat mixture, and stir well. Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese, and bake until the cheese is melted about 15 minutes.
- Top with a drizzle of yellow mustard and the diced pickles before serving.
Be sure to check out these 12 EASY PASTA DINNER RECIPES too!
Such a fun recipe to shake up our weeknight dinner menu! I love how comforting and creative this cheeseburger casserole is!
Once again it will not let me print this recipe.
Made this tonight, it was really good! I loved the crunchy pickles sprinkled over the top! The best part is my picky kids ate it too! Thanks! Will be making it again.