Are you looking for some fun Halloween Costume Party Ideas? Whether you’re planning a small get-together or a large bash, we’ve got you covered. From themes and activities to food and decorations, we’ve got everything you need to make your party a success – plus Halloween Costume Ideas!
So what are you waiting for? Start planning your Halloween party today!
Halloween party planning can be fun but also a little stressful. Here are all the pieces you need to plan an amazing Halloween party with ease!
Take the pressure off Halloween party planning by using this complete guide and Halloween party planner! Plus there are Halloween Printables to make your party even more festive!
These Halloween Treat Bag Toppers make great treat bag party favors!
1. Halloween Party Planning
Get started with brainstorming a Halloween costume party theme. This can be anywhere from fun and cute, glam, spooky or downright gruesome!
The first thing to consider is if there will be children at the party.
If yes, then the party decorations should be fun and not too scary. If not, then you can be as gruesome as your creativity takes you!
For a kid-friendly party purchase fun bright colored party supplies. Black, orange, purple and chartreuse green are popular Halloween colors.
Simply order a mixture of colors to mix and match your way to an unforgettable celebration! Mix different patterns of plates and cups and don’t forget the paper straws – a favorite when hosting a party.
Tissue rosette pinwheels are cool as a dessert table backdrop. Hang tissue paper pom poms, balloons, or other Halloween decor from the ceiling for a festive atmosphere. Buy lots of cobwebs too in bright colors!
2. Halloween Party Themes
- A costume party where everyone comes dressed as their favorite TV show character. Everyone could come as their favorite sitcom character from different TV shows or even from the same popular show.
Halloween TV Show Party Themes:
- The Office
- Tigar King
- Stanger Things
- Downton Abbey
- Squid Games
2. A spooky Halloween party where everyone comes in costume as ghosts, witches, or other creatures of the night. Let’s not forget zombies! Decorate your home with cobwebs, mummies, and other creepy horrific characters. This Scary Halloween Party Bathroom will be the perfect decor for this party theme. Be sure to have some frightful music playing in the background too.
3. A themed costume party where everyone has to come as a character from a particular book, movie, or period in history. For example, you could have a Harry Potter-themed party and ask everyone to come dressed as their favorite wizard or witch. Or you could go back in time and have people dress as ancient Egyptian pharaohs or Roman emperors.
Whichever theme you choose, be sure to make it fun and festive! Be sure to have plenty of snacks and drinks on hand to keep everyone entertained.
For an adult-only Halloween party, do the same things but make the party a little more ghoulish! Find some great adult Halloween party ideas here!
Think spiders, blood-splattered and lots of black and gray for a more deadly look! Check out these Scary Halloween Decorations.
Below are some great DIY Halloween decorations if you feel like being crafty!
4. Halloween Contest Ideas
Halloween is the perfect time to let your creativity shine! And what better way to show off your Halloween spirit than by having a costume contest? Here are three fun and creative ways to hold a costume contest at your next Halloween party:
- Themed categories – To get guests thinking outside the box, try setting up some themed costume categories. For example, “Best TV Character” or “Funniest Costume.” This will encourage guests to get creative with their costumes and have a blast in the process!
- Judge’s choice – Have a few trusted friends or family members act as judges for the contest. They can walk around the party and keep an eye out for the best costumes. At the end of the night, the judges can announce the winners and hand out prizes.
- Vote by applause – This is a simple but effective way to run a costume contest. Guests simply vote for their favorite costume by cheering and clapping for the one they like the best. The loudest cheers wins! Whichever way you choose to run your contest, remember to have fun with it! After all, that’s what Halloween is all about.
5. Halloween Party Invitation Ideas
There are several types of invitations you can send these days.
I am a little obsessed with these Video Halloween Party Invites. Easy to share through social media! This one is great for adult costume parties.
Here is a kid-friendly Video Halloween Party Invite.
There are also many great Printable Paper Halloween Invitations as well.
6. Halloween Party Foods
- Pick a few appetizers to serve that can be made the day before and kept in the refrigerator. They are easy to set out immediately when guests arrive.
- Choose one or two slow-cooker appetizers that can be prepped the day before and placed in the slow-cooker to cook a few hours before party time.
- Also, choose Halloween party appetizers that can be prepped ahead of time and put in the oven after guests arrive to serve hot.
- Other great no-fuss options are veggie trays, fruit trays and snack foods.
Halloween desserts are seriously so fun to make. Consider making Halloween cupcakes, cookies and other sweets so guests have dessert selections. Find lots of fun Halloween dessert recipes here.
Create or purchase a variety of Halloween desserts and fill in with bowls of orange, black and green candies.
It’s always nice to have a few special “signature” drinks at a party. For a family Halloween party, have plenty of non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. Consider a green Halloween punch, this Mad Scientist Halloween Drink, plus offer, water, soda, and lemonade.
If you wish to have adult beverages consider having a signature drink plus beer and wine. This Spider Web Martini is perfect!
Or try one of these Halloween adult cocktail recipes.
- Bubbly Witches Brew Jello Shots
- Spooky Halloween Eyeball Jello Shots
- Orange & Black Halloween Jello Shots
- Spooky Halloween Mimosas for a Boo-tiful Party
Whether you’re looking for cute and family-friendly ideas or something a little more spooky, we’ve got you covered. We hope this list of Halloween costume party ideas has inspired you to throw the best bash yet! Happy haunting!