Hey Y’all! It’s Joanna from Everyday Made Fresh, and I am back this month to share one of my favorite combinations, chocolate and mint – Frosted Peppermint Brownies! If you missed what I shared last month, you should really check it out since we are gearing up to serve another holiday meal in the next couple of weeks, and these Mini Dutch Apple Pies with Caramel Sauce are the perfect serving size and loved by all.
These Frosted Peppermint Brownies are made from a simple homemade mix, and topped with a cream cheese peppermint frosting that makes them delectable!
So about these delicious frosted peppermint brownies! I have been making these peppermint frosted brownies for years during the holiday months, and they are always a hit. One year when I was working as a secretary at a law firm I took these in for our annual Christmas party, and my co-workers raved about how tasty they were, and several ladies ask me for the recipe, so I know Y’all are going to love them.
If you don’t have the time to make these from scratch, which is really simple and doesn’t take up too much of your time, you can always use your favorite boxed brownie mix. I’ve done them both ways, and they always turn out perfect.
I’ve changed the recipe over the years from the hard peppermint candies to the soft peppermint candies. I find that it lends a slightly different flavor with a much smoother texture. If you can’t find the soft peppermint candies, then, by all means, the hard ones will work just fine. I made them that way for years.
If you love the combination of chocolate and mint, you should check out my recipe for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies. And tomorrow on my blog, Everyday Made Fresh I am going to be sharing my recipe for Chocolate Chip White Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Cookies, made from my Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Peppermint Frosted Brownies
- 2/3 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds+3 tablespoons water Or 1 egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 3/4 cup soft peppermints roughly chopped
- Brownies: (if your using the flax egg, mix the flax seeds and water together first, and set aside)
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in your water, vanilla, and flax egg (or egg).
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet, until mixed well.
- Pour your batter into a 9X9 inch parchment paper lined baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before making the frosting.
- To make the frosting your going to place the softened butter, cream cheese, and mint extract into your bowl, and beat until it's starting to fluff.
- Slowly add in your powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until you have beat in all of your powdered sugar, and you have a fluffy and creamy consistency.
- Fold in 1/4 cup of the chopped peppermints.
- Frost your brownies, and sprinkle the reminder 1/2 cup of chopped peppermints on top.
More Christmas Treats!
Linking to these wonderful parties!