Pencil Mason Jar Craft – Cute Way to Store Pencils
Keep all your pencils in this super cute pencil jar. It’s a mason jar craft that is perfect for back to school! And it’s so easy to paint that you’ll want to make a few as teacher appreciation gifts.
A Fun Back to School DIY Craft
Back to school is one of my favorite times of the year! I get all giddy seeing the rows and rows of notebooks, pencils, and backpacks. As an avid DIYer, I love all things crafts. So this time of year I love stocking up on art supplies and notebooks.
And I don’t know about you, but one of the things that clutter up my desk the most are pens and pencils. I end up using some random cup, but what fun is that?
But this is a mason jar painted to look like a cute number 2 pencil. Isn’t it adorable!
I’ll show you how to make it and answer as many questions as I can.
How to Make a Mason Jar Craft Pencil Holder
This is such an easy craft. The entire thing takes about half an hour from start to finish.
- Acrylic Paint (Pink, Light Tan, Black, Yellow, Grey)
- Mason Jar
- Foam Brush and Paintbrushes
- Black Permanent Marker
1. Paint the bottom of the mason jar pink. Let dry and repeat step until you reached the coverage you’d like.
2. Repeat step one for the grey, yellow, light tan, then the top will be black. Let dry.
3. Once the jar is completely dry, take the black marker and make a zig-zag line between the yellow and light tan colors. Then draw a No. 2 on the yellow part of the pencil.
4. Fill with pencils. Great for a teacher’s gift or a homeschool pencil jar.
What Size Mason Jar Do You Need?
I used a full-sized mason jar. It’s a pint or 16 ounces. If you use the quart-sized jar it will be almost too large for most pens and pencils.
You could get away with a half-pint 8-ounce jar too. The smaller jars fit on desks better, plus they are easier to decorate.
How to Personalize It
There are so many ways you can personalize this. It makes a really inexpensive and thoughtful teacher gift or DIY desk decor and organizer.
Here are some of my favorite ways to personalize this mason jar craft:
- Paint the person’s name on the jar
- Use the school’s colors on the jar
- Tie a ribbon around the top and add a tag with a heartfelt note
- Fill the jar with their favorite candy OR their favorite pens and pencils
Another Way to Add Writing to the Jar
Maybe you don’t like your handwriting, or you just don’t enjoy writing with a permanent marker. No worries, there are a few other ways you can add the writing to the jar.
- Cricut cutter – cut out a design on a vinyl cutting machine
- Clear stickers – buy some clear scrapbooking stickers from the craft store
More Back to School Ideas
If you enjoyed this DIY mason jar craft, you will love these back to school ideas too!