Hey there! It’s me again, Katie from The Casual Craftlete blog. Hope you all are enjoying your summer! I have had a crazy busy but good summer. One of my favorite things to do as a family is pick berries. The blackberries were absolutely gorgeous this year and I just have to share my Blackberry Thyme Rustic Pie with you.
I just love mixing fruit with herbs. They enhance each other’s flavors and make for a winning combination. For this recipe I choose to marry blackberries with thyme and the flavor is amazing.
First you start by making a basic pie crust.
No special equipment is needed to make this pie crust. It’s just a basic butter crust that my grandma used to make. Instead of using a food processor or pastry cutter, I used two forks to cut the butter into the flour. You do want to make sure your wet ingredients are very cold. I placed the stick of butter into the freezer for about 15 minutes just to make sure it was nice and cold. I also placed a couple of ice cubes into a cup of cold water. This will help get the desired buttery flaky crust you want.
For the pie filling I used 2 cups of fresh blackberries. Then squeezed in the juice from half a lemon along with the zest. Stir in 2 tablespoons of corn starch and 3-4 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Add the leaves from 5 sprigs of fresh thyme and mix it all together in a medium size bowl.
Once the dough has chilled, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a 1/8 inch piece or about 12 inches around. Move the dough onto a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Add the pie filling into the center of the pie leaving a 4 inch boarder. Fold the border of the dough over the edge of the filling. Brush the dough with an egg wash. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and firm. Allow to cool before serving. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Blackberry Thyme Rustic Pie
- Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all- purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick chilled and diced
- 5 to 6 Tbsp ice water
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Pie filling:
- 2 cups blackberries fresh
- 1/2 Juice and zest from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar granulated
- 5 sprigs of thyme leaves
- Start by making your pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Next, add the diced butter cubes and cut into the flour using two forks (this may take 5 mins). The butter should be pea size.
- Add the ice water one Tbsp at a time until your dough forms a ball.
- Flatten dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has chilled, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a 1/8 inch piece and about 12 inches round. Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- For the filling:
- Combined blackberries, corn starch, sugar, thyme leaves, lemon zest and juice into a medium size bowl and mix together.
- Place the filling into the center of the rolled out pie crust leaving a 4 inch border. Fold the border of the dough over the edge of the filling. Brush the dough with an egg wash. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and firm. Allow to cool before serving. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Thanks again for letting me share my recipe with you! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your summer!!!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: