It’s officially Spring, which is my absolute favorite season!! I love all things involving tulips, longer days, and evening walks. I also even enjoy some good ol’ Spring cleaning (and I hate cleaning on a normal basis). Well … Spring also brings with it Mother’s Day! One of the best traits I got from my Mom is the love of all things handmade! Today I’m here with a pretty and practical gift idea for your mom – Color Dipped Wooden Utensils. It’s super quick and easy!
DIY Dipped Wooden Utensils
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Set of three wooden or bamboo kitchen utensils (I found mine at Target … and forgot to take a picture of the ‘before’ … sorry!).
- Craft paint (I actually used some minty Valspar paint)
- Navy and white polka dot fabric tape. I found mine at JoAnn. Any fun washi tape would work, though! Think of your Mom’s kitchen …
- Polycrylic ultra clear sealer
- Painter’s tape
- Foam paint brush
- Printable gift tags (get ’em HERE).
And here’s how to quickly make these:
- Tape off part of the top of the handle of each utensil and paint with your craft paint.
- Once dry, grab your washi or fabric tape:
- And a tape band around the edge of your painted section:
- Now, in order to both seal the tape (so it doesn’t pull off) and waterproof it (so you can wash these utensils), you’ll want to apply a couple coats of sealer. I used Polycrylic from Minwax:
- Apply the sealer over the top and over all edges of the tape plus the entire painted section. This is essentially waterproofing your work!
- And finally … add a cute (and meaningful) Gift Tag:
- That’s it!
Download the GIFT TAG HERE (there are a couple slightly different options to choose from!).
These utensils are hand washable and so cute to keep out on the counter at all times! Customize them to match your Mom’s decor!
A perfect handmade gift for your mom this year! Especially a mom that loves to cook and bake!
Happy Spring! Thanks for having me here this month! If you get a minute, I’d love for you to pop over the View From The Fridge to say ‘hello’! I’ll be sharing the matching Color Dipped Hot Pad Holder tutorial (see below) on Monday … so be sure to stop back by!
You might also like these Free Printable Potted Herb Gift Tags! Perfect Mother’s Day or Teacher Appreciation gift!