Happy February! It’s Katie from View From The Fridge back this month with a Valentine’s Day craft that’s perfect for that DIY’er in your life (or your DIY home!):
Would you believe me that we actually had these four items laying around the house (just begging to be turned into a Valentine’s Day craft):
It’s true. I raided our basement hardware stash, and found four items that I thought might work for this LOVE plaque that I had in mind. You can be creative with what you happen to have on hand, but for this project I used:
- Copper Wire
- 4″ Brass Screws
- A 6″ Clamp (not sure why we had these on hand, but you can find these for super cheap in the plumbing section of your hardware store).
- Chain (any color works!)
Okay … so my primary hardware was scrounged up. Now … for the plaque base.
I had a wooden block from Michael’s that I had previously distressed and painted this turquoise color:
It was destined for another project that actually never happened (this happens to me more than it should) … but that worked in my favor for this project!! The turquoise color was an Americana Decor Chalk paint from Michael’s that I distressed with some sandpaper and then finished with this Americana Clear Wax (shown above) … also from Michael’s.
PLAN IT OUT
Now for the layout planning …
Since ‘E’ was the most complicated letter of the four, I decided to attempt to use a combination of the copper wire and some upholstery tacks to create it. The other letters were pretty straight forward. It’s a nice coincendence that LOVE is made up of very simple and easy to create letters …
- Two screws to create the ‘L’
- Plumbing clamp to create the ‘O’
- Chain creates the ‘V’
- and then the most complicated …. Copper wire plus upholstery tacks to form the ‘E’.
To fasten the items in place, I actually did make a run to the hardware store. I grabbed a packages of these ‘One Hole Strap’ fasteners that I found in the electrical/cable aisle. They worked perfect for this project (and cost less than $2). These along with some small screws, three small nails, and those upholstery tacks/nails that I mentioned above where all I needed to adhere all my items to the wooden plaque:
FASTEN IT ALL TOGETHER:
- I used two of the ‘One Hole Strap’ fasteners per screw to hold the ‘L’ in place.
- Just one ‘One Hole Strap’ fastener at the top to hold the plumbing clamp (a.k.a. the ‘O’) in place.
- Three small nails at each of the points of the ‘V’ to keep the chain in place.
- And … 6 upholstery nails (you could also use thumb tacks, screws, or regular nails) at each of the corners of the ‘E’. Then simply wind the copper wire around them until you’re happy with how it looks.
And … there you have it … a very Industrial LOVE Plaque:
Do you think it’s ‘Industrial’ and ‘Manly’ enough for the men in your life (probably not …, but it IS fun!).
And … technically … it isn’t necessarily just Valentine’s decor. Love is always in season (ahhh … so cheesy, sorry!).
Do you know a DIY’er that would love this? Or a tough tool man?
Thanks for having me here today! If you get a chance, stop over and say ‘hello’ over at View From The Fridge! We’ve got some more DIY projects and some more Valentine’s Day ideas!
Until next month …